Thursday, February 16, 2006

Trust no one?

We watch alot of Baby Einstein. Alot. We call it the baby mind control because our son just loves it. Anyway, I was reading about the creator of BE, Julie Clark on Ladies Who Launch. She took her great idea and became a super successful brand. One of the lessons she learned was to not trust anyone because somebody ends up ripping you off. I find that so sad but I guess it's business? It's one thing to be inspired by something, but to blatantly rip someone off? Ack

I've read that Big Card Company or Big Chain Store does it all the time. Why, when they are huge and could hire the best designers. Why not buy a license for designs? I don't know anything about licensing, it's probably expensive... but still there's gotta be a way where both parties can make money.

I've been reading about copyright issues and I feel bad for those involved. Then when I came across the article about the Baby Einstein creator, it just made me think about it again. When Huge Company rips someone off, it takes from designer's profit and a bit of their identity. We just want recognition for what we do and make a living doing it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallmark has been known to have ripped off some artists who have applied with them too. Sad. When I was selling pagers I called them and they claim to be so old fashioned that they don't use gadgets over making phone calls. Heh, well I bet they are past that now ;)

February 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sold pagers? hmmm... ever sell stationery or greeting cards?? heh ;)

February 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to say, I completely agree Julie Clark. Trust no one. And in addition to that, get money up front, signatures on everything, and contracts in writing.

February 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks anonymous. I've a lot to learn. I really dislike the business side of it.

February 19, 2006  
Blogger marie said...

I hate to think that way too. I really want to believe that people are good and honest.

Funny, I had a conversation about Baby Einstein and knockoffs this weekend (our son still loves B.E.) For Christmas, we received this really cute Baby Bama DVD(we're Alabama fans). My son just loves it too - but it is just like Baby Einstein - only with children dressed in Alabama clothes and football/basketball clips. I wonder if Baby Einstein even bothers to go after companies like this?

February 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. That Baby Bama sounds cute. I've never heard of it, but maybe it's different enough from BE?
I just can't believe how someone copied even the position of your polka dots. Don't they have their own style? How are they going to come up with new designs? Do they keep on copying? I'd like to think most people are honest, it's just those few that aren't... hmm...

February 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home